Why is it we want to snuggle down under the bedcovers when we hear the sound of rain in the early morning? I think it is an inherent memory from our prehistoric ancestors of a time to be still and allow the rain to replenish the earth. I think even then we understood that a rainy day was an opportunity to rejuvenate.
I know all of us have busy lives and a rainy day can cause a level of frustration in trying to accomplish all of those items on our daily schedule. I know for some of us a rainy day incites the mood to rush around even more which is why there are so many traffic accidents on such days. I know for some of us a rainy day is a lonely day because it impedes the opportunity to get out and mingle with others.
Sometimes it rains a lot in my hometown of Houston, Texas and my girlfirends and I have learned how to just let it have its way when it comes. If it is a gentle rain, we usually proceed with our normal schedule. In fact, we have a little funny justifying statement about those gentle rainy days as we grab our purses and umbrellas to head out of the door. We say to each other, “Girl, rain don’t stop nothing but a picnic!” and it always ends with laughter. If it is a flash flood day, we know to stay in place and we look for the opportunity to make it a fruitful day.
Here are some of those opportunities that you can consider for your next rainy day:
- An opportunity to sleep in and get more rest
- An opportunity for personal reflection and meditation
- An opportunity to try out a new recipe
- An opportunity to curl up with a good book or watch a DVR’d / Netflix movie
- An opportunity to pick up the phone and actually call some family and friends to hear their voices
- An opportunity to sit still and actually listen to some of your saved music on your IPOD
- An opportunity to work on that scrapbook or photo journal project
- An opportunity to grab your spouse or lover and make love all day! (My personal favorite.)
So, the next time you wake up to the sound of rain, don’t groan. Just consider it an opportunity to slow down and enjoy an activity that is usually not a part of your normal (sunny) day.
What is your first thought when you hear the sound of rain in the early morning?
What are some of the things you do on a rainy day?